Engage and Amplify Student Voices
Who We Are: The Student Voice Team is comprised of a team of self-selected middle school through college students working closely with the Prichard Committee for Academic Excellence to elevate the voices of Kentucky youth on the classroom impact of education issues and support students as policy partners in improving Kentucky schools.
What We Do:
We look for opportunities to collaborate with other student and adult leaders to create ways to share youth perspectives on education issues with an intergenerational audience. So far, this has included such initiatives as:
- Speaking at statewide education summits and local rallies and organizing a social media campaign featuring students on the impact of inadequate school funding;
- Testifying before the Joint Legislative Education Committee about how students can contribute to the teacher evaluation feedback loop;
- Drafting and championing legislation to change the law that prevents students from serving on superintendent screening committees;
- Leading a year-long investigation into policies that prevent smooth transitions to college;
- Publishing a series of commentaries in local and national news media outlets on a variety of education policy issues;
- Facilitating, documenting, and sharing policy-oriented conversations with middle and high school students across Kentucky;
- Making presentations at numerous local and national professional development conferences targeting other youth and adult allies who are part of the burgeoning student voice movement.
Why We Do It: We believe students are largely an untapped resource when it comes to improving our schools. After spending 35 plus hours a week over many years observing school systems up close, many of us have developed a set of expertise that we are able and more than willing to share to make the education experience better.
How You Can Do It Too: For more information, contact Rachel Belin, email@example.com or (859) 233-9849 x 233.