The Beverly Nickell Raimondo Leadership Award recognizes individuals who have demonstrated exceptional leadership toward improving student achievement among Kentucky students.
Beverly Raimondo found her “calling” at The Prichard Committee for Academic Excellence in 1991. Bev helped found both the Commonwealth Institute for Parent Leadership (CIPL) and the Parents and Teachers Talking Together program. Both programs focused on informing and empowering parents to better understand and actively participate in their children’s education. Bev passed away in 2016. The Prichard Committee continues to work in her honor to equip Kentucky families with skills to advocate for excellent schools and education for all of our children. Bev created a sustained commitment to education and, even more important, she created an environment where citizens could see the results of their work. Bev believed improvement was possible – and she made sure we all shared that belief and took action just as she did.
“Beverly loved Kentucky and was always interested in ways to improve the state’s position in education nationally. When Bob Sexton invited her to join the Prichard Committee, she left a twenty-five-year career with IBM to accept a job that would quickly become a calling.
She realized that parents had the potential to be one of the state’s key education resources but were underutilized. To address this shortcoming, she developed The Commonwealth Institute for Parent Leadership (CIPL), an intensive, multi day training course that gave parents the knowledge and tools needed to better understand and be a part of the decision-making process in the schools their children were attending.
Nearly 2,000 parents have participated in CIPL training that has enabled them to more effectively work with their school principals and teachers to improve outcomes. Many of these individuals who have gone on to hold school board and state level positions in education.
My daughters and I felt compelled to honor her memory and work by establishing the Beverly Nickell Raimondo Award to recognize parents who continue to perpetuate the work she started and would want continued.”
– Anthony Raimondo
Criteria for Recognition:
- The individual has completed the Commonwealth Institute for Parent Leadership (CIPL) or other activity designed to build capacity of parents to have a positive effect on student achievement in Kentucky’s public schools.
- The individual has demonstrated a commitment to improving achievement for all students in his/her community or statewide.
- The individual has provided encouragement and support for those in his/her community who are working to improve parental knowledge and student achievement.
- The individual has championed student achievement in Kentucky’s public schools.
- June-August nominations accepted
- Raimondo Committee reviews nominations in September
- Committee selects a recipient prior to the Prichard Committee annual meeting
Nomination Formand Instructions
INSTRUCTIONS: Complete the online form on this page with your information, the information of the nominee, and a letter of recommendation.
LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION: Please write a letter of recommendation, 500 words or less, explaining why you wish to nominate this person for The Beverly Nickell Raimondo Leadership Award. Remember the focus is on demonstrated leadership toward improving student achievement among Kentucky students. Below are questions that should be addressed in the recommendation form:
- How are you acquainted with the nominee and why do you believe this person should receive The Beverly Nickell Raimondo Leadership Award?
- Has the individual completed the Commonwealth Institute for Parent Leadership (CIPL), the Governor’s Commonwealth Institute for Parent Leadership (GCIPL), or other activities designed to build capacity of parents to have a positive effect on student achievement in Kentucky’s public schools? Please provide the date and location of parent/community engagement trainings.
- Provide examples of the individual’s demonstrated commitment to improving achievement for all students in their community or statewide.
- Provide examples of how the individual has provided encouragement and support for those in their community who are working to improve parental knowledge and student achievement.
- Provide examples of how the individual has championed student achievement in Kentucky’s public schools.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS? Contact Suzetta Creech at email@example.com or call 859-940-1790
DO YOU WANT TO SUPPORT KENTUCKY PARENT LEADERS?Donate now to support!
Donating is simple! Just fill out the donation form here, and select “This donation is for the Raimondo Award” option. That’s it!